Are you a proud owner of a Nissan 350z and want to upgrade your steering wheel to give it a more stylish look? Well, you might think that replacing the steering wheel with a new one would be a simple task. However, when it comes to the Momo and Sparco boss, it’s not a straight bolt-on application. In this article, we will explore why this is the case and what options you have to make the upgrade seamlessly.
Why Not a Straight Bolt-On Application?
- Compatibility Issues: The main reason why the Momo and Sparco boss is not a straight bolt-on application to the Nissan 350z is compatibility issues. These aftermarket steering wheel bosses are primarily designed to fit a wide range of vehicles, and they may not perfectly align with the specific mounting points of the 350z.
- Different Hub Designs: Another factor to consider is the difference in hub designs between the stock steering wheel and the Momo or Sparco bosses. The stock steering wheel of the 350z has a unique hub design that may not be compatible with the aftermarket bosses, requiring some modifications for a proper fit.
- Wiring and Airbag Concerns: The Nissan 350z is equipped with various electronic components integrated into the stock steering wheel, including the horn, audio controls, and airbag system. When replacing the steering wheel, it is crucial to ensure that these functionalities are maintained. And with aftermarket bosses, additional wiring modifications may be required to connect these components.
Now that we understand why the Momo and Sparco bosses are not a straight bolt-on application, let’s discuss how you can overcome these challenges and successfully upgrade your steering wheel.
- Adapters and Spacer Rings: One option is to use adapters and spacer rings. These accessories are specifically designed to bridge the gap between the aftermarket boss and the stock mounting points. They provide a secure and reliable connection, ensuring proper alignment between the steering wheel and the vehicle.
- Professional Installation: If you are not confident in your DIY skills or lack the necessary tools, it is highly recommended to seek professional installation. Automotive technicians experienced in steering wheel upgrades can ensure a seamless installation, addressing any compatibility issues and wiring concerns that may arise during the process.
- Custom Modifications: In some cases, custom modifications may be necessary to achieve a perfect fit. This may involve modifying the stock hub or the aftermarket boss to align properly. While this option requires more effort and expertise, it can result in a tailored and professional-looking upgrade.
Upgrading the steering wheel of your Nissan 350z to a Momo or Sparco boss is not a simple task. The compatibility issues, hub design differences, and wiring concerns require careful consideration and, in some cases, modifications. By using adapters and spacer rings, seeking professional installation, or exploring custom modifications, you can overcome these challenges and achieve the upgraded steering wheel you desire. Take your time, do proper research, and consult with experts to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade!
Now we got that out of the way check out Tony in his new video way above, on upgrading the steering wheel on the Nissan 350z.